Saturday, May 7, 2011

Work-in-progress pictures, Emma at the Fair

1
I took these work-in-progress pictures
while working on pages 4 and 5 of Emma at the Fair, 
written by Margriet Ruurs.
I started out with an indigo blue coloured
outline in watercolor to give the objects

distinct edges.

2
Then I added layers of colour until 
it got deep and colourful enough.

3

4

5

6

7
Oops! The pumpkin got a little too dark and

reddish...

8
...so I used some yellow /orange gouache (opaque

watercolor) to lighten it up.

9
Then I worked on the rest of the picture 
working in the same way, building up layer 
upon layer of watercolour and/or dye. 

10

11

12

13

14

15

16

17
In the last 2 frames I added the border. 

18
Notice on the left hand side I did a 
little test run for the border colours before 
applying them to the final illustration. 
Sometimes it saves time to do a test first, because 
it would take a lot more time to redo a whole border,
especially one this detailed.
I use watercolours and watercolour dyes
(which can be mixed together). The watercolours have 
a natural quality but sometimes don't have the brightness 
I want. That's when I use or add some dye, because dyes are
really bright.
My favorite surface to work on is cold pressed acid free
illustration board. 

No comments:

Post a Comment